One of the many questions we get asked is HOW LONG WILL MY TAN LAST?
The short answer is… It depends! here are the three main factors that will help you determine how long your tan will last.
Perspiring causes pores to open creating a passage way for the sweat to come through. Sweat itself is made up of mostly water containing small amounts of ammonia, urea, salts and sugar. As the impurities and dirt sitting on the top layers of skin leave the body through perspiration, your tan is leaving with it. People who exercise also shower more often additionally causing the tan to fade an even faster rate.
If you exercise regularly it is possible that your tan will only last 2 to 3 days and that it might not fade evenly due to this reason.
1) Book your spray tan as close to your event as possible (no more than 2 days prior).
2)The day of your appointment, plan on working out prior to coming in for your spray tan.
3) Take a shower and cleanse your skin from impurities immediately after your workout to prevent dirt build-up and possible breakouts.
4) If you exercise following your spray tan, be sure to pat-dry when wiping off sweat and take a shower after your routine to remove all build-up and avoid possible break outs.
Yes, this factor alone could have an effect on how well your tan fades and how long it will last. This is especially true for the ladies because estrogen play a key role in menstruation, pregnancy, menopause and puberty. Estrogen affects skin moisture, the formation of wrinkles and increase in collagen (which allows skin to remain plump and hydrated). As these fluctuate the response your skin has to the spray tan can too.
I have had clients who have gotten spray tans during pregnancy and rave about their tan lasting 10 days. I also have had clients who are going through the hormonal changes that occur with aging whose tan has reportedly lasted only 3 days. The latter has more to do with the slow down in production of collagen and elastin that happens with aging than with elevated levels of estrogen.
1) Exfoliate well prior to your spray tan appointment. Exfoliants that contain Lactic Acid work particularly better on dehydrated skin.
2) Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize.
Taking care of your tan is important. A thorough exfoliation prior to your appointment is a good start. Moisturizing daily and avoiding the use of lotions containing fragrance will aid in this process as well. Your tan should look good for about 5 days after that unless you’re using a tan extender or our beloved Tan In A Can your tan should be on it’s last days. At Organic Tans we offer great products that will help prolong the life of your spray tan, make sure you ask us at your next visit.
1) Apply moisturizer daily after your first shower.
2) Avoid spraying perfume directly on your skin.
3) Do not use loofahs or rags when cleansing your skin following the first few days of your tan.
4) Pat-dry when you get out of the shower.
5) Moisturize daily with a moisturizer that aids in hydration.